What is Healing Crisis ?
Are You Going through a Healing Crisis?
If you’ve recently begun a natural healing process and notice that your symptoms are getting worse instead of better, don’t give up just yet !. You may be going through a healing crisis (officially called the Herxheimer Reaction), which is a natural part of the detox process.
What Is a Healing Crisis?
A healing crisis commonly occurs when your body is getting rid of toxins and other waste products. Many cleanses and other natural healing processes cause your body to cycle out old tissue, bacteria, and toxins. This is a positive process that will leave your body healthier and cleaner. However, as the process begins, the toxins being released can aggravate your body. A healing crisis occurs when your body is releasing more toxins than your liver, kidneys, and intestines can process. These can cause negative symptoms or a temporary worsening of the condition you’re suffering from. A healing crisis does not mean that your healing is not working; it’s simply a natural stage that your body has to go through.
What Are the Symptoms of a Healing Crisis?
The symptoms of a healing crisis vary from person to person. They depend on what kind of toxins you have built up in your body and what other health conditions affect you.
- night sweats
- hot or cold flashes
- nasal congestion
- changes in blood pressure
The Healing Crisis is natural and healthy
The healing crisis is very natural and unique for each individual. The vast majority experience very mild symptoms while others experience severe issues. The individual should understand that these symptoms are temporary and will subside as the body gets healthier and able to eliminate toxins more effectively. Symptoms usually reduce or are eliminated within two to three days but on rare occasions can last a few weeks.
Most people base their health on how they are feeling and think that the natural health program is hurting them when they go through a healing crisis. This could not be further from the truth. The longer toxins or pathogenic organisms remain in the body, the worse their health will be and the faster they will develop disease.
People who are already suffering from major illnesses or are quickly building disease processes may suffer from more extreme reactions. This may explain why someone would have a brief flare-up in their condition. On occasion, the crisis will come after the individual feels at their very best.
How to Overcome a Healing Crisis More Quickly
A typical healing crisis only lasts for a couple of days, but it may last for up to a week or more. You may not be able to avoid a healing crisis altogether, but there are a few natural steps you can take to help your body move through the healing process more quickly.
- Drink plenty of liquids, particularly water and herbal teas, to help flush toxins out of your body.
- Take probiotic supplements – This is a perfect time to support and replenish your body with healthy friendly bacteria.
- Try eating naturally fermented foods, such as yogurt, miso, kefir, kombucha and sauerkraut. These foods provide your body with extra electrolytes and enzymes that can help to cleanse toxins.
- Drink lemon water – Squeeze ½ – 1 whole lemon in 8 oz. water daily. Lemon water alkalizes the body and assists detoxification.
- Epsom salt baths – Add 1-2 cups Epsom salts to your hot bath water, soak at least 20 minutes. This can be a very detoxifying experience.
- Take time to relax, rest, massage your abdomen and take a deep breathe.
If you are unsure if what you are experiencing is a healing crisis or another health problem, it’s always a good idea to consult your doctor.
May 05, 2015 by Annie